Monday, October 31, 2005

Where the beaches, clouds, and mountains meet

After a long wait, my most awaited chance to have an R&R finally came...so off we go to for a three-hour drive to Mati, Davao Oriental to see for myself the infamous white sand beaches and enchanting islands that has been tickling my imagination. I was weighing my options whether to go and join my cousins in Boracay or just go somewhere near for the long weekend. Well, the penny-pincer in me had made choose the latter. Besides, Boracay would be crowded as usual...too distracting for my standards.

Coincidentally, it was also Mati's 102 Foundation Day. Upon arriving in Mati's poblacion, we got so excited because the whole town was in a fiesta mood. The usuals were there: ukay-ukay and tiangge booths, food fair, fruit festival, programme at the park, beauty pageant, and videoke challenges.

We left Davao at 7:00am on Saturday, Ocotber 29th and had a quickie brunch in Tagum City at 8:00 am afterwhich we started our journey to Mati. As always, I was fascinated with the ride and managed to keep myself from dosing off. Mati is also famous for its very panoramic view of its coastlines. At one point, you would see a view of adjacent islands with a shape of a 'sleeping dinosaur'. Fantastic indeed!We arrived there at almost 12noon and went around the poblacion and ate sumptuous empanaditas...Sarap talaga! Then, we went to a private resort where big waves were said to be surfers' delight. How I wish I know how to windsurf, must be an exhilirating experience...

When it was almost sundown, we then proceeded to Masau resort. We have booked a cottage there at Php 1,500, not bad for an airconditioned room which could accommodate 10 persons (by my size). hahaha All the cottages were affordable anyway. There are lined cottages on the beach, as well as floating cottages. There's no t.v. though, but there are videoke machines that cost Php3.00 per song...not bad at all! However, you c an't find MYMP songs there..hahaha I sang Rick Price's 'It only reminds me of you'...I scored 94! whew, gosh, singin' is so relaxing!hahaha

On the following day, we woke up as early as 6am for our early morning swim...the water was amply warm and cool...the sun's rays not so piercingly hot yet and a hot coffee waiting at the cottage, with grilled dried fish (bulad as we call it), pork kilawin, and chicken adobo. What a great day! At 9am, we were set to go to Waniban Island. It's a 30-minute ride by boat, very isolated island with water so blue and green....see for yourself!

Approaching Waniban island


6 comments:

  1. Wow! inggit ako! I have heard a lot of praises about Waniban Island. I wonder when will I be able to get there!

    Budal! Sarap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. grabe jud ka nice...ako gani na taga-davao ra first time pa nako naadtuan...naa pa mas nice ani, pujada island, another 30minute boat ride from waniban island...basin mubalik ko didto aron maadtuan to...hehehe basta nindot jud ang mga islands sa mati, they say better than boracay...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rain,
    Thank you for sharing aning beaches sa Mati. Moadto jud ko didto kung makauli ko diha. Naa man ko igsoon ug iyang bana nagtudlo diha sa Mati.

    Wala pa ko kaadto sa Boracay pati sa Pearl Resort sa Davao. Villa Victoria raman tong akong naadtoan hehhehhe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi agring, wa nay villa victoria karon...It's now Mergande Beach Resort, nag improve pud siya...cge ko adto didto, nice man gud ilang pool unya duol ra samo, mga 15mins ra. adto jud sa mati, d ka magbasol!hehe Pearl Farm is quite overrated, pero nice pud siya...but my likes man gud kay kanang mga 'untouched' beaches, not glamorized like Pearl Farm...daghan pud nice islands sa samal island.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pagkamaayo nimo ug kapalaran kay nakaabot ka sama ana nga manindot nga talan-awon...

    Ako ngahandum lang nga makakita aning mga lugara usa ko mopanaw ning kalibutan...

    ReplyDelete
  6. tama jud ka, swerte kaayo..hehe usahay ra gud ta mabuhi so I'm seizin' every opportunity to see places...salamat sa pagbisita dianing dapita!

    ReplyDelete