Wednesday, January 25, 2006

My new way of life

The 90/10 Principle

by Stephen Covey

Discover the 90/10 Principle. It will change your
life.What is the 90/10 Principle?

10% of life is made up of what happens to you.
90% of life is decided by how you react.

What does this mean?

We really have no control over 10% of what happens to
us.We cannot stop the car from breaking down.The plane will be late arriving, which throws our whole schedule off. A driver may cut us off in traffic.

We have no control over this 10%.
The other 90% is different.
You determine the other 90%.
How? By your reaction.

You cannot control a red light, but you can control
your reaction. Don't let people fool you; YOU can control how you
react.

Well, I am proud that since reading this article I have become a better person...in terms of reacting to situations that normally really ruin my entire day. It's true that shit really happens...it is even more inevitable for fucked-up (excuse me for the words) people who are really exerting all their efforts in making you miserable...and it is most common that we get pissed off by 'bossy' colleagues in our respective offices...and we perennially find ourselves at our wit's end in our lives' depressing events such as being cheated upon or being dumped! You think of all the possible worst case scenarios happening in your life and then you can gauge how emotionally equipped and mature you are.

I for one is easily irritated, moody, bossy at some times, bitchy when I'm in the mood, etc...and I admit that because of these behaviors and attitude, I have lost a very good friend,colleague, and loved one (technically) because when I am mad, I say things that I really don't mean (or maybe I mean them but I never intended to blurt them unto their face. Then a creeping 'tension' and 'uneasiness' inhibits us from dampening the flames of misunderstanding & frustration. The next thing we know, we're no longer talking...as in ever! And after a while, we realize that we've hurt someone but oftentimes are not able to redress our mistakes. Thus, this world has become a lonelier place.

I've only got a few true friends...and I don't want to lose them. Same thing applies with my family though they are mostly the ones who are taking my grunts and 'attitude'...This I'll have to rectify....


2 comments:

  1. works for me, too, the 90/10 principle. glad that it works for you, too.

    these people that gets into our nerves intends to ruin the day. that is their purpose and they win if we let them get into our nerves. to ignore is best. and if you cant contain anymore, just give a one-liner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. snglguy: if only we have enough strength to withstand everything that's negative around us! but it's a choice....to be a victim or not! have a nice day too!

    bing: well, when i feel i'm about to explode already, i deflate myself!haha

    ReplyDelete