Thursday, November 17, 2005

Another lonely Christmas

If you remember, the whole country was shook with the news of a plane crush somewhere in Cagayan de Oro City in 1998.

Just today, my cousin Archie (who's now based in Virginia, USA), emailed to me the link of his mom's article printed here in the internet. Without any hint of what's the article was all about, I immediately clicked on the link. Then, suddenly I felt a lump in my throat...as I always do whenever I'm reminded of that particular event not so long ago.

For your information, I had a cousin who was one of the casualties in that plane crush. If you care to read the article, you would know the pain that we have been through. The article relates my aunt's personal turmoil brought about by the tragedy.

Now, it's only my uncle and aunt left here in the Philippines since their second son Archie has opted to migrate in the U.S. after their tour. Every Christmas for the last three years, we make it a point to go to Tangub City, Misamis Occidental, to celebrate Christmas with them. Days before Christmas, they would call up my father saying, "Dong, panganhi pud mo diri kay hastang mingawa namo diri sa Pasko..." (Dong, won't you all come over for Christmas because it gets so lonely here when it's Christmas day.)

This coming Christmas, it would again be a lonely Christmas for them. They would find it hard to have a merry one, not when their first born is dead and their other son in the U.S. But they always say that they'll get by...that's what is life is all about, picking up the pieces in order to continue with the journey.

To our beloved cousin, Kuya Artnee, Christmas is surely lonely without you.

3 comments:

  1. i feel their pain. exactly. a few christmases i spent alone here abroad. very lonely time for such a festive occassion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi milikay, i guess we could never elude pain because by wishing so, happiness would be so scarce also:-) have a merry xmas this time though!

    ReplyDelete